Administering the payroll is one of the most critical and demanding functions of a business. This comprehensive, easy-to-use guide clearly explains the essential components of all pay office functions and procedures. It is an invaluable resource for payroll officers, business owners and advisers.
Topics covered include:
- setting up payroll systems — including records required by law, choosing a computerised system and internal audit procedures
- ongoing payroll administration — including basic employment law requirements, salary and leave calculations and payroll forms
- tax issues — including employers’ PAYE responsibilities and KiwiSaver obligations, FBT, entertainment expenses and hiring people from overseas
- information relevant to both manual and computerised payroll systems
- sample calculations, checklists, examples and forms essential for payroll procedures
- a quick-reference payroll calendar with key filing dates and holidays
The 2016 edition has been updated in light of:
- recent employment law changes in relation to zero hour contracts, flexible working arrangements and parental leave
- new rules for PAYE on employee share scheme benefits
- updates on current Inland Revenue tax treatment of vouchers and allowances, life and sickness/accident insurance policies, calculating holiday pay and FBT treatment of carparks.
Read some sample questions and answers on recent changes affecting payroll.